We briefly detour from our series on driver safety to focus on the explosion that occurred over last weekend in Accra, in Ghana. At least seven people were killed and scores injured, mostly suffering burns, after two explosions at a natural gas depot in Ghana's capital (fire service spokesman Billy Anaglate said on Sunday).
A lot has been said about how officials and the people in charge were responsible for the tragedy at Grenfell Towers, and certainly there was negligence on their part. But, if you’re a tenant or resident in a similar tower, you too can play your role in ensuring that safety is upheld, and risks are minimised. We are by no means saying that the residents in the situation of Grenfell could have prevented what happened, only that the tips and tools included here can be used to enhance the rigorous safety measures required for any apartment block (or similar dwelling).
On the 14th of June, the deadliest English mainland fire since 1900 occurred at Grenfell Tower, a 24-storey, 220-foot high tower block of public housing flats in North Kensington, in west London. The cause of the fire has not yet been finalised, but several media outlets reported that it may have been caused by a faulty refrigerator. A fourth-floor resident told the media that it was her neighbour's refrigerator that caught fire around 01h00, and that they immediately began knocking on doors to alert people. She also stated she saw a small fire in his kitchen through his opened door. Within half an hour the building was entirely engulfed in flames. The speed at which the fire spread is believed to have been aided by the building's recently added exterior cladding.